Featured Post

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Working on Wrack

For more than a year, I've been working on the game called "Wrack." It was originally titled "Last Bastion." The alpha version of the game was sold with a promise that the purchaser would get the full game when it's done.

The team working on the game has basically consisted of three people. A programmer/game designer/producer, an artist and me (for sfx and music). I've completed a lot of effects for the game with many more to go. The music is coming along, but I like seeing the artwork for a level before I write something for it.

Anyway, the first episode of the game is soon to be released in beta on SteamPowered.com. What's cool about that for game music composers is that Steam has started offering albums of game music. These are albums that are just like apps in one regard: they can have tracks added/edited at any time, and the purchasers of the album can update their albums to the latest version without additional costs. I think this is something that will become commonplace in the not too distant future.

Imagine releasing an album of your music and promising your new recordings released in the next year or so will be included in the cost of the album. What a way to keep fans happy and to keep in touch with them!

I'll let you know how this experience works out.

Right now the game is available in alpha form at WrackGame.com.

UPDATE: I have heard that Valve (SteamPowered.com) may be changing their policy and may no longer be allowing games to sell their soundtracks on the side. I'll see if I can find something in writing to that effect.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen Steam offering soundtrack purchases, but I had no idea they could be updated the same way games can. That's pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so cool! I don't think I've truly read something like this
    before. So great to find someone with unique
    thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. thanks for
    starting this up. This website is something that's needed on the internet,
    someone with a little originality!

    Feel free to visit my website :: vajillas de hostelerĂ­a

    ReplyDelete